Wicker Man is 40! (well in December it is) and they’ve found a copy of the 99 minute cut, and this Friday 27th is showing in cinemas across the country (and I suspect the world). I’m seeing it at The Curzon with Memory Tapes performing the soundtrack.
So to celebrate this, Radio Clash Live on Friday from 10am til Saturday will be broadcasting the Wicker Man podcasts, associated Scottish shows, various versions of the Wicker Man soundtrack by Paul Giovanni, WM covers and related original and modern acid/freak folk music, hauntology and spooktronica and the like (think Trader Horne, scottish folk, early John Martyn, Boards of Canada, Vashti Bunyan, Broadcast, Advisory Circle & Ghostbox, neofolk & Current 93, Psychic TV, Fleet Foxes, Low Anthem, Jane Weaver, Eccentronica Research Council, etc). Ian Fondue has been helping me with the selections, and I’ve been delving into the original massive pile of tracks for the two ‘Summerisle’ podcasts I did a few years back.
Haven’t totally worked out the schedules, but it will be pretty much the music and podcasts weaved in and out of some of normal schedule over 24 hours or so:
Friday (all times in British Summer Time):
- 10:00-14:00: Music of Wicker Man
- 14:00-18:00: Wicker Man & Scottish Podcasts
- 18:00-20:30: Mix @ 6 as usual
- 20:30-22:00: – Lloydbrary as usual, with occasional Wicker Man music
- 22:00-24:00 – Wicker Man & Scottish Podcasts
- 00:00-01:00: Notre Jam with Joel Crookes, with occasional Wicker Man music
- 01:00-03:00: 50 Pound Note with Jeb Edwards, with occasional Wicker Man music
- 03:00-06:00: Wicker Man & Scottish Podcasts
- 06:00-10:00: Mix @ 6 as usual
- 10:00-14:00: Music of Wicker Man
- 14:00-18:00: Wicker Man & Scottish Podcasts
Might continue it further but I think over a day of freak folk & scary tunes is enough for everyone! Will also be a test of the new ‘override’ facility, which can override individual shows and slots with a new playlist *fingers crossed*
Norway’s answer to The Lonely Island or The Conchords Ylvis are viral darlings at the moment, and I love their tracks, very funny…so you’ll hear ‘The Fox’, ‘Stonehenge’ and ‘Someone Like You (Dubstep)’ on rotation on Radio Clash Live 😉 But watch the videos first, they are really funny pisstakes of EDM like LMFAO, dubstep and inane ballads. And you might learn something!
With dj BC’s new Beastles album ‘Ill Submarine’ about to drop, he’s done an exclusive preview mix for Radio Clash Live which will be aired at 9pm British Summer Time on Sunday – in fact I’ve declared Sunday 9th to be Beastles Day on RCL – there’s a special exclusive Beatles mix from Ian Fondue at 10pm (BST), and loads of Beatles related podcasts, mashups, remixes and tunes all day from 6am on Radio Clash Live including the 7 Radio Clash Beatles podcasts in sequence from 8am BST, and special Beatles/Beastles cover and mashup/remix Mix @ 6 shows at 6am and 6pm BST.
And of course exclusive previews of ‘Ill Submarine’ throughout the day! I just hope EMI isn’t listening…
Here’s the tracklist for the djBC mix:
- djBC – No Sleep Til The Sun
- djBC – Mother Nature’s Rump
- djBC – Drive My Car Thief
- djBC – Bellymovin
- djBC – Hide A Little Something Away
- djBC – Tripper Trouble
- djBC – Move Prudence
- djBC – I Feel Fine Right Now (Extended)
- djBC – Glasses From The Night Before
- djBC – Let It Beast
- djBC – Flying In The Cut
- djBC – Anna’s MCs
- djBC – Don’t Let MCA Down
EDIT: You can now hear this mix on the Radio Clash Live Soundcloud!
And here’s the tracklist for the Ian Fondue mix of Beatles covers, which is part of a new series ‘Done to Death’ which will feature in future on Sunday nights on RCL in this very slot!
- Junior Parker – Tomorrow never knows
- The Brothers Johnson – Come together
- The Free Design – Eleanor Rigby
- The 5th Dimension – Ticket to ride
- Ramsey Lewis – Day tripper
- The Vibrations – And I love her
- The 5 Stairsteps – Dear Prudence
- Joe Goldmark – Penny Lane
- Big Daddy – getting better
- Easy Star Allstars ft Frankie Paul – Lucy in the sky with diamonds
- Yellow Dubmarine – Something
- Men About Town – Norweigan wood
- Harvey Averne – I feel fine
- Stevie Wonder – We can work it out
- Mary Wells – Please please me
- David Porter – Help
- Black Heat – Drive my car
- The Punkles – Hey Jude
Listen via the player above or via the Listen page.
EDIT: That was great – 400 of you popped by and listened – thanks! We got Boing Boinged – thanks Cory – and as a thank you here’s the exclusive dj BC mix, where you can hear some of the new Beastles tracks!
Tonight (9:30pm-11:30pm BST, repeated 4am Sat), on the live broadcast I’m going to sock it to the record industry with the long-awaited return of the Pop Is Dead show – the second part is called Arseholes & Repetoire and includes the likes of XTC, Kinks, Nick Lowe. Sound of Sha’Bass, Fall, Bonzo Dog Band, Crumb, Sage Francis, Bruce Haack, Clash, E40, My Drug Hell, Stan Freberg, Stark Effect to name a few!
The last 30 mins of every live show will be exclusive to the stream, either as a History of Mashups show or just ‘Radio Clash Xtra’…not on the podcast, not anywhere else – tonight if I get it prepped in time will be History of Mashups 9 – James Brown.
Summertime is here on Sunday but you’d not know it here with snow on the ground – but to brighten your day (or night) there’s an early new April edition of Notre Jam from Joel Crookes tonight at 11:30pm GMT / Sunday at 2am BST (yes our clocks go forward then!). It’s another in the Disco Heartbeat series, so good for you Easter Disco Bunnies (how many more Easter/BST references can we get into this?)
The schedules have been rejigged slightly this week so 50 Pound Note will now start at 00:30am and not 00:15am as before.
- MFSB – Mysteries Of The World
- Love Unlimited Orchestra – Satin Soul
- Kid Creole & The Coconuts – Going Places (Zemix Version)
- Philly Devotions – Hurt So Bad (A Tom Moulton Mix)
- Sylvester – Over And Over (7″ Edit)
- Caroline Crawford – Coming On Strong
- Was (Not Was) – Out Come The Freaks
- Teddy Pendergrass -You Can’t Hide From Yourself (Dimitri From Paris Super Disco Blend)
- Stargard – Wear It Out
- Betty Wright – Where Is The Love (Danny Krivit Edit)
- Prince – I Wanna Be Your Lover (Dimitri From Paris Re-Edit)
Latest instalment of A Little Bit of Sol arrives on Tuesday 2am GMT & Saturday 2:30pm GMT with #11 of his Sessions – have a look at the tracklist below!
- The Mary Onettes – Hit The Waves
- Tangled Thoughts Of Leaving – Failed By Man And Machine
- Crash Kings – Mountain Man
- The Veils – Another Night On Earth
- Wookid – Conquest Of Space
- Wild Belle – When It’s Over
- Unkle Bob – Turning Pages
- Lord Huron – Time To Run
- Wavves – I Can’t Dream
- Discovery – Slang Tang
- Gemma Ray – Carpathian Lullaby
- Vasco Da Gama – Brigadiers
- Youngblood Hawke – Rootless
- Phidel – Beside You (Automne Mix)
- Black Light Burns – The Moment You Realize You’re Going To Fall
- Cankun – Acinom
- Phosphorescent – Song For Zula
- Carmen Villan – Dreamo
- Team Ghost – Things Are Sometimes Tragic
- Daughter – Lifeforms
- Wave Machines – Walk Before I Run
- Slint – Nosferatu man
- Minutemen – D’s car jam – anxious mofo
- Beastie Boys – Finger lickin’ good
- ESG – Moody
- Siouxsie and the Banshees – Happy house
- The Brothers Johnson – Streetwave
- Lightin’ Rod – Sport
- Jean-Claude Pelletier – Special streaking
- The J.B.s – Pass the peas
- Ugly Duckling – Eye on the goldchain
- Kool and the Gang – Give it up
- Christ – Zeroth law
- Nathan Fake – The sky was pink
- Ride – Drive blind
- Ulrich Schnauss – on my own
- Blur – Popscene
If you’ve been listening to the station you might have heard some of the Parkade shows, or original ‘Radio Clash Live’ shows – and indeed mention of Amanda Shinji aka Miss Cyberpink. Well one of her great but criminally overlooked mashups is ‘Strangeword’ – a combination of ‘Depeche Mode’s ‘Strangelove’ vs Cameo’s ‘Word Up’ – on paper an odd combination but works so well in reality.
So I’ve created a new video for it, which you can see above, and it’s playlisted on Radio Clash along with the exclusive Push Groove (which has gotten the thumbs up from Lady Miss Kier herself!) which we posted about a few days ago. So if you listen you might hear this and other classic mashups modern and old between shows!
One of the featured mashups on the station has a new(ish) video – Push Groove by Instamatic (Salt n’ Pepa’s ‘Push It’ vs Dee-Lite ‘Groove is in the Heart’). Simple, yet effective, the video was created for Kleptonite in London. You can hear this and other mashups, remixes and re-edits on Radio Clash Live, as part of the Mix @ 6 and between shows.
Those listening this early morning would have already heard one exclusive and one new addition to the Radio Clash playlist – Ian Fondue’s exclusive sequel to his M.Y.B.O. mix M.Y.B.O. 2 which is playing now and repeated tonight at 8:15pm GMT as part of his Lloydbrary slot, and also played early this morning at 00:15am GMT (and every day this week) the first show from Jeb Edwards aka DJ 50 Pound Note – it’s a pleasure to rebroadcast his excellent 50 Pound Note podcasts and mixes, and we really recommend listening – there’s a lot of good music there and Jeb is a great DJ in his own right. Some of Jeb’s Kiss The Future and Past Forward will be also on Saturday 23:00-2:00am GMT slot and also he’ll definitely pop up in the ‘lucky dip’ section during the day.
And via Notre Jam’s Joel we have a new guest mixer, B-Roll whose short breaks/funk/soul mixes will be on Mix @ 6 this week, currently on Tuesday 6am & 6pm and Wednesday 6pm, but I’m sure we’ll hear more of these!